Sunday, October 6, 2013

Harry Potter Howler Mitts!

I made these for the Craftster.org Return to Hogwarts Swap: Round 4; my partner: 85%confusion.
Couldn't find a pattern anywhere for them, so I decided to create one of my own. :)



Photo courtesy 85%confusion

Materials
Worsted weight Red
Worsted weight White
size 6 needles: dpn or 29 inch circs or longer if you like magic loop, for working in the round.


CO 36 stitches with Red, "long tail" method for extra stretchyness.
Join for knitting in the round
Rounds 1-10: K2, P2 for 2x2 rib
Rounds 11-20 Knit in the round
Rounds 21-30 Stockinette flat back and forth (Row 21 purl, Row 22 knit and so on)
Join for knitting in the round again
Rounds 31-33 Knit in the round

Here's where the "split" happens for the Howler's "lips"
Knit 18 stitches leaving the other 18 on a length of yarn for picking up later.
(If working in magic loop, just leave remaining 18 stitches on the cable) 
Knit 5 rows stockinette 
Bind Off loosely

Now for the other side of the hand.
Knit the remaining 18 stitches off it's Holder 
Knit 5 rows stockinette
Bind Off loosely

Then we come to the "Teeth"
Go to the "non thumb" side where the flaps start.
Count down 3 rows and on inside (wrong side) of mitt pick up and knit 36 stitches 
Knit 1 row
Knit 5 rows of 2x2 rib (Same as the wrist cuff)
Bind Off in pattern

Weave in ends and go give that Ronald Weasley the "what for" for stealing a Muggle Car!!!



 
Special Thanks to Melissa for being my hand model!
George Costanza has NOTHIN' on you!

This is the very first pattern I've ever written down and to my knowledge it's original.
Please throw me a message if anything is askew,
I am incredibly open to constructive critisim. 


1 comment:

  1. heh heh! he does have a better last name theme song... "cuh...stanza!"

    i love these mitts, you are just so clever with your swap projects... blair mclaughlin you're my hero!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!
You've made my day!!!